July 13, 2010

MONEY!

Remington has been on a money fix lately. We painted cans for piggy banks one day and all he can think about it filling it up. We also took a trip to the Motorcycle shop the other day and he fell in love with a little red four wheeler (or as he attempts to say it, foureeler). Every day since then he has been begging for jobs to do so he can, someday, buy the four wheeler. I keep trying to explain just how much money (in pennies) it takes to buy it and he keeps pretending to understand, but he really hopes I will just buy it for him so he doesn't have to do all the work.

Well, after several days of doing odd jobs around the house he was getting the hang of doing little jobs with out me asking so he could get money. Then on Sunday he wanted to help make dinner. He scooted the chair over to the counter and started chopping strawberries. Which, by the way, is a rare occasion for him to get to use a sharp knife. He loved it and was so proud of himself for doing it right with out cutting himself. Then while we were eating he ever so politely asked for his money for cutting the strawberries for me. I had a good laugh. I explained that he did help me, but it was a fun learning experience for him and I wasn't going to pay him for it. He sadly replied with "but mom, I did my job." For a second I was clueless of how I was going to differentiate paying jobs and unpaid help in the future. Then the best excuse came to me... "Remington, did you know Heavenly Father commanded us not to work on Sunday?" I tried to hold back a giggle.
He stopped complaining, seeming to remember a recent family night we had about keeping the Sabbath day holy.

No comments:

Post a Comment