May 5, 2010

Virtual Reality

Today my boys announced that they wanted to play video games and since we don't have any video games in our house, this obviously meant that they would be exercising their imaginations today.

They both ran over, sat on the couch and started making shooting noises. Then the yelling began. "Go the other way!" "Follow me." "No, I'm the red guy!" I could feel a potential headache coming on, so I asked them to play a different game, like race cars. Remington, without breaking his gaze, answered me in all seriousness using his bored video gamer voice and said, "I can't play that, I lost that game."


Minutes later, Boston started to get bored with the way Remington was playing the game and announced that he was going to play batman on his own video game console. Seconds later, Boston stood up ran over to the wall where, I assume, Remington's video game console was and started pushing imaginary buttons complete with sound effects. He took out Remington's video game and crumbled it on his chest and used a saw to further destroy it. Remington freaked out and started yelling , "NOW I WILL NEVER GET TO PLAY IT!" Within seconds, I saw the creative juices flow in Remington's eyes. He ran over to where he pretended Boston's console was and said, "fine, I will just play Batman." Boston freaked out, stomping his feet and screaming, "No!"


After we were done playing pretend, I was very grateful to not have spent hundreds of dollars on video games just to have my kid's fight over them and break them. Who needs to spend money when our imaginations are just as good as the real thing?

3 comments:

  1. That made me laugh out loud...I can totally see the whole scene playing out in my head too! Thanks for sharing....welcome to bloggersville!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's super cute! That's the same reason our mom didn't let us have video games either! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this to Grandpa last night and we both had a good laugh. And yes, this is the very reason video games were not allowed in our home.

    ReplyDelete